As a result of the COVID-19 public health crisis, communities across Europe are also facing a crisis of information. This situation is also testing the limits of community, local and regional media’s already fragile resilience. However, journalists have a vital role to play in supporting important information needs at this time.
With support from the European Journalism COVID-19 Support Fund, they can:
- Provide crucial information about local facilities, services and businesses that is relevant to geographic communities and communities of interest.
- Mobilise people looking for ways to help their community
- Connect individuals during self-isolation and quarantine.
- Produce and explain information about health advice, government support initiatives, data and research, in ways that is relevant and accessible to certain demographics.
- Provide hope, respite and confidence by producing and distributing solutions-driven journalism.
- Keep people informed about other news and information of interest or importance that isn’t specifically about COVID-19.
Objectives of the Fund
- Reach: Fund between 100 - 300 news organisations and journalists across Europe, in order to ensure as many communities as possible benefit.
- Urgency: Provide financial support in a rapid and accessible way, which will support beneficiaries at their most crucial time of need
- Protection: Help beneficiaries mitigate challenges related to financial sustainability during the COVID-19 crisis by providing them with core funding.
- Community: Keep affected communities informed with relevant, clear and timely information about COVID-19 and other important stories, by directing support to a diverse range of grantees
- Flexibility: Provide funding that allows beneficiaries to solve their own problems.
- Inspiration: Inspire other news organisations and journalists to engage with their communities by sharing learning, experiences and knowledge.