In cooperation with local partners, AfricaonAir and Dakar-based journalism school E-jicom, the EJC is running a capacity-building programme in Kenya. The project targets a problem specific to Kenya’s media landscape, namely the lack of in-depth, well-researched, and compelling stories on development issues. It seeks, therefore, to raise awareness of this problem by engaging with Kenyan journalists, editors, and society at large. To this end, the programme offers workshops dedicated to practical journalistic work, with an emphasis on producing stories that are relevant, powerful, and effective in raising development issues.
We have also partnered with Project Syndicate, a non-profit newspaper network based in the Czech Republic, to develop a monthly editorial series featuring essays and articles written by some of the world's leading experts on development issues, for publication in some of Kenya’s major media outlets, such as The Nation Group. By targeting national decision makers in this way, the project seeks to increase the visibility of development problems, while placing them in a global context and advocating for solutions. The project also supports AfricaonAir’s efforts to expand and strengthen a network of Kenyan development journalists through regular joint activities, all aspiring to increase the quality and quantity of development coverage, especially at the local and community-based media level.
Kenya: Raising Development Awareness through the Media is part of MFSII - Press Freedom 2.0.
Related news :
- The sustainable development goals and a new era of development journalism in Africa
- EJC and Kenyan Partner Release Development Reporting Guide for African Journalists
- EJC and AfricaonAir confirm winners of Kenyan University Journalism Competition
- EJC targets data utilization in back-to-back workshops in Kenya
- EJC and AfricaonAir focus on reporting health and development issues in Kenya workshop
- The EJC implements reporting development course in Mombasa, Kenya
- The EJC Launches Reporting Development Training in Kenya
- The EJC Holds Back-to-Back Reporting Development Journalism Training Workshops in Nairobi
- The European Journalism Centre Launches Development Awareness Programme in Kenya
- Communication Officers and Media Professionals Participated in the EJC’s Media Training in Kenya