Understanding the motivation of the News consumers
In a time where everything is possible, audience motivation is a key factor in determining in selecting the way they consume news: WHEN, WHERE, HOW, WHY?
Understanding audience motivation helps you to decide the most effective way to present the news to them, not just what news to present. Choosing whether to focus on pictures or text or fast or slow etc. in whatever media you choose should vary according to the motivation of your audience.
What do people expect when looking for news:
- A real time news feed of the latest event?
- Breaking news?
- A bite size selection of news tailored to their specific interest?
- An experience with a touching, beautifully made report on a major event on TV?
- A debate or a discussion on the topic, to form an opinion with?
- Possibilities to participate, for example with a live event?
For anyone working in news production, it is essential to be aware of the audience and what motivates them to consume the news. Because in these fast changing times, you can best keep up with the evolving techniques by looking at how people are using them.
Location: European Broadcasting Union Geneva Headquarters L'Ancienne-Route 17A CH-1218 Le Grand-Saconnex Switzerland